They say to have a good friend you have to be a good friend and if you want to foster better relationships, sometimes that change has to start with you! We've got some quick tips on how you can be an awesome friend to the ones you love:
1. Check in - it's that simple. A simple text is just enough and if you have some free time, pick up the phone and make a call.
2. Show up! - If you friend invites you to celebrate an important moment in their lives, make an effort to be there. It's important that people feel valued. Nothing says "I care about you" more than making an effort to be there.
3.Give space when needed (and don't take it personal) - Sometimes people need space. Life can be challenging and people deal with things in different ways. If your friend is aloof or tells you she needs a moment, trust her words and don't take it to heart (unless proven otherwise). Give her the space she needs to breath. She'll love you even more for it.
4. Listen - Why is listening so hard? Because we naturally want to fix things, provide a solution and offer advice. But there is so much value in listening. Listening to a friend is an amazing skill. Your friendship will blossom through listening and you will learn even more about the person you call friend.
5. Only share advice if asked - This can be hard, but remember your opinion is not always required. Unless you receive a request for feedback, keep it 🤐😊
6. Don't be judgemental - We all make mistakes. If your friend is open to sharing things with you, try not to judge. Remember, people may only share half of the picture with you, so whilst you may feel like you have a simple solution, her reality may not be that simple.
7. Actions speak louder than words - If you declare that you are a good friend but do not act like one, it's meaningless. Friendship requires effort from both sides so make sure you're doing your fair share 💗